Saturday, December 15, 2012

SIXTEEN Years

A while ago I was thinking about breakups and heartache and that whole depression thing you (can) feel after a relationship ends. I was thinking about how many times I've felt that and how sad it was each and every time; but at least I wasn't alone. Then I started thinking some more and it occurred to me: I've gone through breakups and heartache and that whole depression thing ever since middle school, and I still do now. That's about 16 years of breakups and heartache and that whole depression thing. Damn. At least I'm not alone.

And then I thought, "Or am I...?"

Ever since the first breakup tears left my little blue eyes in 6th grade, it's never really gotten easier, mostly just harder. And it seems I'm becoming more and more alone in crying those breakup tears.

[Disclaimer: I've happily not cried breakup tears in a while. Like, at least a couple weeks, and they were light.]

Anyway...

Being single means seeing your friends (and, like, everyone else) in multiple-year-long relationships with no breakups, heartache and that whole depression thing. Meanwhile, you're starting and ending your own relationships one or two or eight times in that same span of time. I really AM getting more and more alone in my breakups, heartache, blah blah blah. Aren't things supposed to get easier with practice?

Apparently not in the game of love.

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Especially today, on Valentine's day.
    Middle school has a lot of peer influence (even though most everyone is single). If you do not have a significant other, then you are slightly pathetic (or at least made to feel that way).

    ReplyDelete